Home > Car Accidents > Kingston, Ontario Rear-End Car Accident – Does At-Fault Driver’s Auto Insurance Company Cover Injured Driver’s Medical Expenses?

Kingston, Ontario Rear-End Car Accident – Does At-Fault Driver’s Auto Insurance Company Cover Injured Driver’s Medical Expenses?

FAQ: I was in a car accident in Kingston, Ontario. I was rear-ended. Do I contact the at-fault driver’s auto insurance company to cover my medical expenses?

Answer: No, you do not. Your own auto insurance company actually pays for your medical expenses incurred from the accident. Pursuant to Ontario law, regardless of who caused the accident, your own auto insurance company steps in to cover these expenses. Medical and rehabilitation benefits coverage is one type of accident benefit insured drivers, passengers or pedestrians are eligible to receive from their auto insurance companies after an Ontario car or truck accident in cities like Ottawa, Kingston and Whitby.

Medical and rehabilitation benefits cover treatments provided by medical professionals, medication, assistive medical devices, etc. However, it is important to note that medical and rehabilitation benefits are only available if medical treatments are not covered by OHIP or another health plan. The law in Ontario requires you to apply to those other insurance policies first. The no-fault accident benefits insurer then pays for amounts not covered by other policies.

Insured, injured drivers, passengers and pedestrians are also eligible to receive other types of accident benefits, such as those discussed below, from their auto insurance companies.

1. Attendant Care Benefits – An individual who is seriously injured in a car accident may receive these benefits to assist them in hiring someone to help them with daily personal care issues like bathing, eating, or grooming.

2. Income Replacement Benefits – If an injured driver is not able to work after an Ontario car accident, these benefits partially compensate the injured driver for their loss of income. Injured drivers who were not working at the time of their accidents may still receive income replacement benefits if certain conditions are met. Click here for a discussion of income replacement benefits.

The amount of benefits received is dependent on the extent of injuries and the amount of coverage purchased by the injured driver.

In general, you have 7 days to report the accident to your auto insurance company after an accident occurs. You will then receive accident benefits claim forms to complete. You have to return the completed forms within 30 days of receipt. After the insurance company receives your forms, it will review your information and let you know whether you are eligible to receive benefits.

Therefore, if you drag your feet and wait until the 29th day to return the completed forms, you may delay the processing of your accident benefits claim.

Need more answers? Contact the car accident lawyers at Bergeron and Clifford at 1-866-384-5886 to schedule a FREE consultation.

Contact Bergeron | Clifford LLP

Let us help you if you have been injured anywhere in Eastern Ontario. Contact us at 866-384-5886 or fill out our online form. We can meet at any of our office locations, including Kingston, Ottawa, Whitby, Carleton Place, Perth or wherever is most convenient for you.

Insurance Tactics

This article, hosted by the American Association of Justice, shows us how some insurance companies unjustly deny claims, discriminate by credit score, delay payments until death, and employ other tactics to make sure they make the most profit as possible, […]

Bergeron Clifford Takes the Gold!

Bergeron Clifford is proud to support Kingston Literacy by participating in the 15th Annual Grate Groan Up Spelling Bee. The Bee took place on May 17th, 2009, at the Ambassador Hotel, which is a new venue for the event. Team […]