You are here:

Hit-and-Run And Uninsured Drivers

Being in an accident is terrible enough. If you are in an accident and the other driver speeds off, or turns out to be uninsured or underinsured, you may feel that you are out of luck as far as compensation is concerned.

Happily, that's not the case.

Not Being Left High And Dry

There are a number of options available to take care of you, such as:

  • If you are in an accident in Ontario, even if you were at fault your own insurance company will compensate you for many expenses, including lost income, medical and rehabilitation expenses.
  • If the other driver is at fault, you can usually claim damages from him or her and his or her insurance company will pay for that. If the other driver is missing or doesn't have insurance, your own insurance policy will step in and pretend to represent the missing at-fault driver, with some limitations (for example, the amount recoverable is limited to $200,000).
  • If the at-fault driver is insured, but doesn't have enough insurance to pay for your injuries, your insurance may be able to make up some of the difference. We can look at your insurance policy to see whether it does.
  • If you don't have insurance of your own, and the other driver is uninsured or missing, all is not lost. As a last resort, the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund (MVACF) can provide some compensation.

Contact Bergeron Clifford LLP

Let our lawyers help you with your injury claim if you have been injured by an uninsured driver or been involved in a hit-and-run. Contact us at 877-391-2923 or fill out our online form. We represent clients throughout Eastern Ontario and can meet you at any of our office locations, including Kingston, Ottawa, Whitby, Perth or wherever is most convenient for you.